O.K., well ...it wasn't quite a day at the beach (Buckroe Beach), more like a 45 min. stroll on the beach. It was an unusually sunny, gorgeous, 65 degree weather kind of day. Just what I needed. I enjoyed watching young mothers pushing baby strollers, kids skateboarding (who probably should still be in school) and others enjoying their lunch break.
I needed to get away and was mad at myself, that as a grown up, sometimes I still can't say "NO." I usually volunteer at the school cafeteria on Monday mornings for about 1 1/2 hrs. doing prep. work (mostly cutting up veggies and putting salads together). My normal routine is to go straight to the gym after working in the kitchen. Well, not today. The same thing happened last week too, except I ditched going to work for my dad (which I get paid for) to volunteer at the cafeteria (which I do not get paid for). Go figure. I feel bad because I know the cafeteria lady desperately needs my help. I know for sure that she does not get paid enough for all the work she does. So, I have put in about 9 hours of volunteer work in just 2 days. I am way over my quota of 20 volunteer hours/family. Too bad I can't "sell" these hours to another needy family who hasn't completed their service hours yet.
Since I usually don't work in the cafeteria when the kids come in for lunch, I found it quite amusing how orderly and quiet all the kids were while eating their lunches. Well, that didn't last for long. After 10 min., all hell broke loose and I couldn't even hear myself think. Well, the second lunch group walks in and the same thing happens...finally figured it out. There are orange traffic cones placed on the tables with each of the classes written on it. Not only are the cones to let the kids know where they are sitting but once the cones are taken off the tables (again, after about 10 min.), they are allowed to talk and mingle with one another. What a concept....perhaps I should implement something like this at home as well, not so much for at the dinner table, but making sure ALL homework and chores are done before getting free time.....but wait, I already do because I am a parent.
On another note, Alex is slowly turning into that teenager. He has spent at least one day per weekend with one of his friends (unless he is camping, but even then, he is with his friends). Any of you that are parents of teenagers...is this what I have to look forward to? When Alex finds spending time with his peers more fun and entertaining than with his family? Sigh.
Well, Ted, who still works for KAPL, is officially an employee of BMPC (Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation) as of today. Lockheed Martin lost the contract to operate KAPL last summer and had to turn over the reins today. He likes his job, I think.
1 comment:
Mommy is too selfless. I think she loves to be needed,
Post a Comment