Friday, September 10, 2010

The "S" Words

What does the month of September bring? We all know that school has started, and for us, it actually started 3 weeks ago. But, we are also well into soccer, swimming and scouts.

We now have 2 middle schoolers. Alex is in 8th grade and Sophia is in 6th grade. Matthew is in 2nd grade. So far it has been very busy. Alex made the school soccer team after trying out for 3 years in a row. There is a new coach this year and he is great. The coach really evened out the team with a good mixture of 6th-8th graders, all with different talents and abilities. Alex's team won their first soccer game! Hopefully, their season will continue to be a winning one. Sophia just started swim practices again. Matthew is on a recreational soccer team. He also has a very good coach which we are very pleased about. His team also won their first soccer game. As many of you know, it takes a very organized calendar to keep track of the kids' schedules. There are times when Ted and I play tag team, especially when all 3 kids have something going on at the same time. That happens quite often. I am so thankful for crockpot dinners!


All three kids are also busy with their scouting activities. Alex is on a campout almost every month (Ted is too!). Sophia has had already a couple of Girl Scout meetings after school. I'm keeping extra busy with Matthew in Cub Scouts. My Wolf den has grown from 8 kids to 11 kids as of this week!

Ted took the kids to visit his mom during Labor Day weekend. It was a very nice and relaxing weekend to spend by myself (but the dog missed the kids terribly). I got a lot done that had been put off since school started but it also did me good just to have some quiet time to myself and to do whatever I wanted.

Many of you know that Ted's mom was diagnosed with ALS last year. Her condition is worsening and she pretty much relies on other peoples' help and gets around in a powered wheelchair. Ted's sister, Amy, has been wonderful and has been living with her since April. Unfortunately, due to other circumstances, Amy has decided that it is too much for her to handle. I believe she will be moving out next month. Thankfully, their mom has hired help and hospice to help out with her daily needs. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated. It is a difficult time for us and especially for Ted. We can't be there for her as often as we would like.

On another note, I continue to work for my dad a couple days a week. I am also working part-time for the kids' school. I am helping run a Before School Care program with another person. So far it has worked out well but my job requires a little more work than I expected. It's no big deal watching the kids and keeping them occupied with activities(card games, board games, puzzles, coloring books, etc.). I keep track of payments and a daily sign-in sheet. My kids have to get up about 15 min. earlier than last year. The program begins at 7 a.m. and the kids can report to their classes at 7:40 a.m. On average I have about 5 kids (besides my own) but have had as many as 11 kids. And, they all range from pre-school to 8th grade. My kids don't mind and they actually find the extra time useful for studying or in Alex's case, that would be socializing.

We hope that you and your families are enjoying the beautiful fall weather, watching the leaves turn and of course, football season as well!

1 comment:

The Cunanans said...

So sorry to hear that Ted's mom is worsening - so quickly (?) Our prayers are with her and your entire family. Great to hear about all the activities. Love the "action" soccer shots. Take care and ENJOY AUTUMN!