Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 2011

Despite school being out since the 8th, June has been quite a very busy month. The kids have been enjoying their "freedom" these past few weeks. And, contrary to what most people may think, I am enjoying it as well. Do I miss the peace and quiet every now and then? Well, sure I do....but I really like not having to get up at 5:30 a.m. and go to work and bring them to school. I like the fact that Matthew can be left at home with either Alex or Sophia if I need to go run errands during the day. I love that I can take the kids to outings and not have to worry about homework being done right away. These are a few things why I love being with the kids during the summer. I'll enjoy it while I can because they grow up way too fast!

Alex spent a week at Boy Scout Resident Camp at Camp Powhatan. He had an absolute blast and worked on several merit badges. We sent him a care package full of items he requested (both of the healthy and unhealthy type). We were told that he was quite the entrepreneur as he was able to sell some "hot" items to the other scouts. Not sure, if that could count as a requirement for the Finances merit badge. He also completed his Board of Review (his Troop only does this at campouts) for Life Rank, so he will be receiving that at the next Court of Honor. We are very proud of him!

Matthew and I attended Cub Scout Day Camp in Newport News Park last week. I volunteered to be a den leader for the week. Thankfully, all the boys were either in my den or the other Bear den from our Pack. We had temps in the mid 90s all week but at least we had some shade during the day and drank plenty of water! Matthew had so much fun building paper stomp rockets,  going fishing, doing archery, participating in outdoor games, and just being with his friends. He was very happy to have caught two fish.

Matthew "shooting off" his paper rocket.
The scouts all loved archery.
Speaking of fishing....let's just say that it's not my thing but I would do it to help the scouts. I got to rip apart earthworms (there wasn't anything to cut them up with the first day) with my  bare fingers. I was told to "just squeeze and pinch it and pull it part". It's been awhile since I took Biology 101 but I finally got the hang of it without grossing myself out with those slimy and squirmish little suckers.

Matt was glad to have caught a fish but also very eager to get it back into the water.
Although I was completely exhausted each day, I'm glad to say that I probably had as much fun as the boys. It makes it worthwhile when a scout gives you a big hug to let you know that you are appreciated.

Cub Scout Day Camp Den 17 - Bear Cub Scouts from Pack 242
While I was at day camp, Sophia stayed over a friend's house for a couple of days. She is keeping herself busy this summer by joining a summer swim team. She practices 5 days a week. Ted is quite happy that she decided to join a local swim team. While growing up, he and his sister, Amy, spent their summers at the pool....doing the exact same thing.

We are currently enjoying a week long stay in the Outer Banks of NC. Unfortunately, Ted had to  leave during the middle of vacation to go on sea trials aboard the CALIFORNIA. His trip was delayed 24 hrs., so he was able to come back for an extra day. Although, I know he didn't want to leave us right in the middle of vacation (BTW, vacation was planned months before... knowing that there was a possibility that he would be away at some point during the summer), I also know that he was also looking forward to riding in a submarine that he helped build. I was told he didn't have to sleep in the torpedo room again, which is a good thing, since space is quite limited.

We are renting a townhome located right across from a direct beach access in the town of Nags Head. The weather has been perfect...not too hot but warm enough to enjoy being outdoors.The kids have both enjoyed boogie boarding on the beach as well as swimming in the community pool. We visited Jockey's Ridge State Park (one of our favorite places to visit) which hosts the largest sand dunes on the east coast. The views are amazing! We also plan on doing some sightseeing at nearby Manteo which is located on Roanoke Island.
Ted and Alex are catching some waves.

The kids are getting ready to go boogie boarding.
Jockey's Ridge State Park
The kids on top of one of the sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge.

View of the beach from the Nags Head Fishing Pier.
Another view from the Nags Head Fishing Pier.
 As with any vacation, this one was much needed. And, we always find that the time passes by too quickly.
Sunset over Jockey's Ridge...the pic doesn't do justice to actually seeing it live.


On a final note, with July 4th coming around, may we remember that we are blessed to live in a land that affords such freedom and opportunity, and that is protected by such brave men and women. Best Wishes to you and your families for a very Happy and Safe Independence Day!!

No comments: