Thursday, January 15, 2009

Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten

We are amazed at what Matthew is learning in kindergarten these days. Both Alex and Sophia also attended full day kindergarten and back then, we were impressed with what they were covering in school. And now, with Matthew, it is just astonishing.

I am happy that his school is teaching reading not just by sight words, but also by sounding out and blending letter sounds. I like this better than just sight words alone. He is becoming an independent reader (for his age group). The topics they are covering in Math are phenomenal. Matthew comes home one day and starts to tell us that the fish tank (which is home to our 2 rats, yes, we still have them unfortunately) is a rectangular prism. He knows that a rhombus is a type of parallelogram and is constantly looking to see if particular objects have a line of symmetry. All this in kindergarten! He does have homework everyday except on the weekends and most of the time, he does not want our help.

I am amazed to see how much a child changes in kindergarten....from those first days of school, where he dreaded getting out of the car and crying (and making me feel guilty) to not needing a "kissing hand" anymore and asserting his independence in small ways. I don't want this time to go by fast because after all these years, I am still learning.... from my kids.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck are you doing with TWO rats???

Ted, Tricia, Alex, Sophia & Matthew Van Horn said...

Ahhh....well, the rats who are sisters, came from a litter of 15, at their old school up in NY. The kids were begging us to adopt them. Ted gave them the option of choosing the rats or waiting until we move down to VA to get a dog. Instant gratification....so now we still have the rats. The kids are trying to find a new home because they want a dog so badly.